DURATION: Six months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 21 July 2018
LOCATION: UN Information Center, UN Office, Tehran, I.R. Iran
START DATE: 01 September 2018
ABOUT: The United Nations Information Center (UNIC) is the public voice of the UN and the principal source of information about the United Nations system. It promotes global awareness and greater understanding of the work of the UN, using various communication tools including press, electronic and new media. More information about UNIC activities is available at www.unic-ir.org.
The incumbents will work under the general supervision of the UNIC Director and under direct supervision of the UNIC Reference Assistant.
The purpose of internships at UNIC is not to lead to further employment with the UN but to complement an intern’s studies.
- provide support to the UNIC office in organizing meetings, press events, and other activities
- take photos and make videos during UN events
- provide administrative support to the UNIC staff
- assist UNIC staff with website and social media maintenance
- undertaking any other relevant tasks when necessary
- Basic knowledge about United Nations, its global and national agenda
- Basic knowledge about work of the UN in the I.R. Iran and UNIC in the I.R. Iran
- Fluent knowledge of Persian and English languages
- Computer literate in standard software applications, including knowledge of MS Office, internet, and social media
- Knowledge of political, social and economic environment of the I.R. Iran
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize and maintain a flexible schedule
- Personal responsibility, accuracy and punctuality
- Ability to work in a team as well as individually
- Respect UN office ethics
- Respect gender and cultural diversity
- translate UN documents from English into Persian and vice versa
- transcribe and translate UN films
- strong translation and writing skills
- very good knowledge of English and Persian
- ability to edit translated texts
2. Media monitoring/press clippings and social media:
· review local media and contribute to preparation of press clippings
· monitor media coverage of the UN activities in Iran
· contribute to the updates of the UN Iran social media platforms
· knowledge of Persian and English language is mandatory
· basic knowledge of media field in Iran
· advanced social media skills
· contribute to the content for updating the bilingual www.unic-ir.org website
· research and compile new materials
· sound knowledge of international relations, international humanitarian law
· good bilingual writing and research skills
4. Design and photography:
- assist with design of UN-related publications, promotional materials
- prepare photos for website and publications (photo-editing)
- take photos during UN events
- knowledge of editing and design software (Photoshop, illustrator, in-design, etc)
- knowledge of some open source subtitling software
- knowledge of info graphics and other multimedia software
5. Administrative and outreach/library work:
- provide support to UNIC in maintaining the library files and lists
- assist in organizing workshops, meetings, press events, and other activities
- willingness to work as a multitasked aide in the office
- skills and experience in filing and other office duties
HOW TO APPLY
4th –year undergraduate students and above with a background of international relations, international law, humanitarian law, international economics, political science, English language, communications and journalism, graphic-design, film production and other relevant studies are eligible to apply.
1. Curriculum vitae in English
2. Motivation letter in English
- Please write in the subject line of e-mail: “Internship application”.
- Please mention in the body of e-mail TASKS, from the list above, in which you are interested.
Application packages will be reviewed on a competitive basis by UNIC staff and ONLY the best candidates will be contacted and invited to take part in a UN test and interview.
Shortlisted candidates will have a probation period of two weeks. Only after successful completion of this period the applicants are accepted for internship for an initial period of three months with a possible extension up to six months. Mid-term evaluation will be important.
UNIC will give a concrete task or list of tasks to each intern to perform.
The intern should sign an Internship Agreement committing him or herself to the rules and tasks mentioned.
The interns will be provided with office space and internet access. Some might have the opportunity to work distantly, outside the office area.
Upon successful completion of the internship and based on the evaluation the incumbents will be provided with a Letter of Reference.
1. To the information of the applicants and university administration: the internship period might not coincide with the mandatory academic practice of the respective university. That is why UNIC will accept MAINLY those students who are voluntarily willing to be at UNIC as interns.
2. UNIC is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with confidence.
3. As the office space and human resources are very limited in the UNIC office only small number of students will be accepted. Interns are not financially remunerated by the UN. The UN accepts no responsibility for the medical insurance of the intern or costs arising from injury, illness or death that may occur during an internship. The UN accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to personal effects that may occur during the internship.
4. The intern agrees that he/she will work for a minimum of at least three months with two weeks probation period. Working hours are flexible and will be agreed with each person individually. An internship must be completed within a six-month period.